If you have a German Shepherd, you will know just how much they shed! Year-round shedding is a natural process for your GSD due to his double coat. They will also “blow” (change) their soft, dense undercoat in the Spring and Fall when they will shed even more as they prepare for the season ahead.
There is no way to prevent the constant shedding in your dog, but it can be managed and better controlled by regular grooming with the correct tools. So, what are the best grooming tools for German Shepherds?
The best grooming tools for German Shepherds are the FURminator range, as they are designed for German Shepherds and effectively reduce shedding. These include a brush for daily use, a de-matting tool for removing matted hair, and an undercoat de-shedding tool.
You may have noticed that this article is somewhat different from other product reviews that you find online. These usually endorse various brands and will be headed something like “17 Best Grooming Brushes for German Shepherds” or Top 21 Dog Grooming Tools!”
However, you won’t find that here! I recommend just one brand for the best grooming tools for German Shepherds and tell you the three best tools from that brand. This is the kit that I actually use on my dog and that I have found to be high-quality yet reasonably priced!
Of course, I’ve tried one or two other brands and different types of grooming tools and brushes over the years, but I’ve never found anything as good as the FURminator range.
Before diving into my top 3 recommended grooming tools for German Shepherds, it’s essential to understand the four stages to successful grooming that will dramatically reduce the amount of fur flying around your home.
Let’s look at the types of grooming tools that your German Shepherd needs.
Hey! Do you want to check out the latest trendy dog supplies? Head to Amazon, where you can find everything you need! Click the button below to get started!
- FURminator Dual Grooming Brush:
- FURminator Adjustable Dematting Tool:
- FURminator Undercoat deShedding Tool:
What Grooming Tools Do German Shepherds Need?
German Shepherds need various grooming tools to successfully reduce the amount of fur tumbleweed flying through your home and vacuuming! These are:
- Double-sided brush. Daily brushing is required to remove loose hair and debris from your dog’s topcoat. Alternatively, you can use a good grooming comb. If you have a long-coated GSD, a firm stickler brush with soft stainless steel bristles is best.
- Dematting tool. This removes any mats or tangles, especially in longer-haired German Shepherds, before de-shedding. Ideally, choose an adjustable tool to work on all coat lengths for the safe removal of matted fur.
- Undercoat de-shedding tool. Deshedding should be done 1-2 times per week and more frequently during the heavy molting periods. It should safely reach through your German Shepherd’s guard coat (outer coat) and remove fur from his undercoat. This tool is more effective than a regular brush or comb as it removes significantly more loose hair.
- Shampoo and conditioner. German Shepherds should only be bathed 3-4 times per year, but you should always bathe him during the period when he is “blowing his coat.” This helps to loosen and get rid of any remaining fur.
Not only is grooming required to control shedding, but it’s essential to keep your German Shepherd’s fur healthy and hygienic. It also helps you detect any early signs of skin problems and allows you to check for fleas and other nasties!
Top 3 FURminator Grooming Tools for German Shepherds
So, here’s my pick of the three best grooming tools for German Shepherds. Make sure to check out the latest prices on Amazon:
FURminator Dual Grooming Brush:
- Dual grooming Brush: durable metal bristles detangle, remove debris and massage the pet’s skin, while boars hair bristles smooth and shine The topcoat.
- Suitable for all dogs and cats: great for both dogs and cats, brushing smooths, shines, reduces tangles and keeps the coat healthy.
- Convenient daily solutions: 2 brushes in 1 Grooms and finishes the coat.
- Ergonomic handle: The ergonomic nonslip handle gives you maximum control.
- Guaranteed: guaranteed to work or your money back (See instructions for Detail
This is the ideal double-sided dog brush. One side has hard-wearing metal bristles to remove loose hair and debris from your GSDs topcoat, while the other side is made from boars’ bristles to smooth and shine the outer coat.
This grooming brush is also great for reducing tangles if used daily. It also keeps the coat healthy by massaging your dog’s skin which stimulates and distributes the natural oils.
If your German Shepherd is the long-coated variety, go for the FURminator Firm Grooming Slicker Brush. The soft stainless steel bristles are more suited to long coats. This tool features bent bristles on one side to break up mats and straight bristles on the other side to finish off.
FURminator Adjustable Dematting Tool:
- Safely and easily remove matted hair
- The furextender button to adjust the edges to work on all coat types and lengths
- Curved edges ensure a safe and efficient removal of mats
- The ergonomic non-slip handle gives you maximum control
- Always use on a dry pet So mats are loose
- Age Range Description: All Life Sta
This de-matting tool suits both the short and long-haired variety of German Shepherds as you can adjust the stainless steel edges to fit. It’s so easy to use and removes matted hair easily.
It looks a little scary at first, but the cutting edges are nice and curved, making it completely safe. Make sure your dog is dry before using this tool.
FURminator Undercoat deShedding Tool:
- FOR LARGE DOGS WITH SHORT HAIR: Designed especially for dogs that weigh more than 50 pounds.
- CHOOSE LONG OR SHORT HAIR: Stainless steel deShedding edge reaches through topcoat to safely and easily remove loose hair and undercoatCHOOSE LONG OR SHORT HAIR: Stainless steel deShedding edge reaches through topcoat to safely and easily remove loose hair and undercoat.
- REMOVES LOOSE HAIR: Will not damage the coat or cut the skin when used as directed.
- FUREJECTOR BUTTON: Push to release hair with ease.
- ERGONOMIC HANDLE: For comfortable, easy groomi
This is the Rolls Royce of grooming tools! When I first used this on my German Shepherd, I couldn’t believe how much fur I removed! It felt like I was shearing a sheep – not that I’ve ever worked on a farm!
The edge is made from stainless steel and expertly reaches through the outer coat and removes the undercoat’s soft, loose fur without causing damage to the guard hairs or cutting your dog’s skin.
It also has a nifty button to eject the hair as you go along. You need the large-sized tool for a GSD and choose either the short hair tool or the long hair tool, depending on your dog.
By far, this clever tool is my No 1. pick of the best grooming tools for German Shepherds. I find weekly grooming quite therapeutic as I watch the clumps of fur fall out!
Why I Picked FURminator Grooming Tools
Here’s why I chose FURminator as having the best grooming tools for German Shepherds:
- Functionality: These grooming tools actually work! The undercoat de-shedding tool reduces shedding by 90% with regular use. Use this tool to groom your German Shepherd 1-2 times per week and for 10-20 minutes, depending on his coat length and time of year.
- Variety of tools for the German Shepherd: FURminator has a wide range of tools to fulfill each stage of the grooming process designed for the GSD, namely a double-sided brush, a de-matting, and an undercoat de-shedding tool. There’s also a premium shampoo and conditioner and even a handy hair collection tool that removes dog hair from your clothing and furniture.
- Quality. Their products are well made using stainless steel and tough plastic and won’t break the bank! You get to use professional grooming tools for reasonable prices in the comfort of your own home…or the nearby field if it’s the de-shedding time!
- Safety. FURminator products are entirely safe for both you and your dog as the cutting edges are nicely rounded. The undercoat de-shedding tool has a skin guard that glides over your German Shepherd’s skin, preventing any cuts. This tool also has an edge guard that protects the teeth when the grooming tool is not used. The adjustable de-matting tool has a tab that easily slides to locks the edges in place.
- Comfort. The grooming tools’ handles are ergonomically designed and non-slip to give you more control, making the job easy. The undercoat de-shedding tool’s blade is curved, making it comfortable for your German Shepherd as it glides along with its natural shape.
- Guarantee: FURminator has a 30-day money-back guarantee if, for any reason, you are not happy with their kit. Looking at the number of positive reviews on Amazon, it isn’t easy to imaging anyone having to return any of these brushes or tools.
FURminator DeShedding Shampoo and Conditioner
The 4th stage to successfully grooming your German Shepherd is bathing with a de-shedding shampoo and conditioner. Bathing promotes a healthy coat and skin, but it’s also essential not to over-bathe as this strips the coat from natural oils and leaves the skin dry.
Generally, German Shepherds only need to be bathed 3-4 times per year but always wash during the heavy molting period when he is changing his coat as this helps to loosen and remove the undercoat. If you have a white German Shepherd or your dog likes to roll in fox poop or mud, you will need to wash him more often.
I use the FURminator Ultra Premium Shampoo as it’s engineered to reduce excessive shedding and contains healthy Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids, which are perfect for your GSD’s skin, coat, and joints.
You can also get the conditioner to use in conjunction with the shampoo if you need to bathe your dog more often. Conditioner restores hydration, prevents dry skin, and nourishes and repairs the coat.
FURminator Hair Collection Tool
If you are a stickler for cleanliness, you may want to try the FURminator Hair Collection Tool. This little tool is designed to collect fur from furniture and clothing and is better than a sticky lint roller.
- 4-SIDED DESIGN CAN BE USED ON FABRICS AND PETS: Ideal for use on pets, upholstery, clothing, carpets and rugs.
- DURABLE AND EASY TO CLEAN: The durable structure and rubber material allows the brush to maintain its strength and shape over time and usage.
- WORKS ON ALL HAIR: The FURminator Hair Collection Brush works on short, long, wet or dry pet hair.
- LIFTS AND GRABS PET HAIR: The bristles generate an electrostatic charge that lifts and grabs hair, lint and other fine particles.
- REMOVES PET HAIR FROM MULTIPLE PLACES: The four sides allow you to remove loose hair from crevices, corners and difficult-to-reach are
I must be honest – I haven’t used this tool as I prefer to do a full vacuum and clean-up every evening to keep on top of my German Shepherd’s molting. It also doesn’t get top reviews on Amazon, but after reading some of them, it looks like some people expected it to replace the vacuum!
It’s not intended for a full clean, but it looks like it could do a decent job of removing hair from your clothing so you can go out confidently, not looking like Chewbacca!
It could also be handy when you feel the urge to kill some of those pesky “Shedlings®!” I’ll let you decide!
SHELANDER Drying Tool
After giving your GSD a complete wash with shampoo and a conditioner, it’s a common habit of pet owners to gently pat with a cloth. Does that work? Well, in most cases. But, there’s a downside with this approach. It doesn’t thoroughly dry the fur. As a result, it can result in tangling and also become prone to flu over time.
It’s extremely critical to choose a drying tool to dry your German Shepherd and this completes the grooming session of your dog.
- ①Output power: 2400W adjustable / Voltage 110/120V
- ②Airflow variable: 65MPH-135MPH, Fits from tiny cats to large breeds
- ③New tech for noise reduction & Two options for heating temperature
- ④Flexible hose can be expanded to 73 inches. Comes with 4 types of nozzles.
- ⑤One-year Warranty, Simple warranty-claim & free replacem
There are several reasons to recommend this product:
- It maintains an even flow of air (without throwing extremely hot or cold air).
- It isn’t noisy. As a result, your dog isn’t going to get scared because of using it.
- It’s great for dogs of varied breeds. There’s a flexible hose that makes it even more convenient if you’re grooming and drying multiple dogs simultaneously.
Oneisall Hair Trimmer
Did you think that grooming is all about giving your German Shepherd a quick bath and then combing them later? If so, you’re wrong.
One of the important elements involved in the grooming process is trimming their nails and hair.
- Built-in Batttery. Rechargeable dog trimmer with built-in battery is good for exceptional flexibility. It can also be used when charging so you dont have to worry that it will stop working and have half groomed dog.
- Safe and Sharp Blade. Upgrade stainless steel fixed blade and ceramic moving blade can provide excellent cutting performance. The blade sharp enough for a long time using. Detachable blades,easy to change and clean.
- Low vibration and ultra quiet design.The noise when working is only about 50 db, to help the pet feel at ease, not afraid cut hair any more.
- 6 guard combs(3mm/6mm/9mm/12mm/15mm/18mm). The adjustable clipping comb is applicable for clipping hair of different lengths; and the detachable guide combs make for quick, easy comb changes and increased versatility.
- Please Note: if your pets get long and thick hair, you need to use scissors cut shorter at first, otherwise the clippers may jam up and dont work proper
Sometimes, my German Shepherd has a lengthy fur that gets matted and messy. It costs a ton of money to hire a groomer. After doing a quick thought about various products to trim dog hair, I found that Oneisall is a wonderful brand that offers a beginner-friendly hair trimmer.
Here are a few reasons I like this product over the rest:
- It’s cordless and rechargeable.
- It doesn’t leave marks on the dog.
- It works similarly to a human’s hair trimmer. Hence, it’s easy to use and troubleshoot whenever required.
- It isn’t noisy. So, my German Shepherd never gets scared when I bring this hair trimmer/shaver.
Casfuy Nail Grinder
Whether you’ve a short-haired or a long-haired German Shepherd, nails can grow quite faster. Grooming your German Shepherd also typically includes trimming their nails. Otherwise, they can suffer from breakage when exposed to rough surfaces.
After experimenting with different nail clippers, I’ve decided that German Shepherds need extra care with respect to their claws and if you’re a beginner, you’d better stick to nail grinders.
- Safe, Effective & Precise Trimming: This dog nail grinder uses an advanced diamond drum bit grinder to deliver the safest, most comfortable pet claw grinding. Recommended by veterinarians and pet grooming professionals, painlessly and precisely trim your pets nails anywhere.
- Advanced 2-Speed Switch & 3 Grinding Ports: The trimmer features an adjustable, low-high speed design powerful enough support heavy grinding. And with 3 ports to match small, medium, or large pets, simply choose the appropriate port and speed depending on your pets size and nail hardness.
- Super Low Noise & Vibration: Many pets get stressed by the sound and vibration of pet nail grinder. However, our electric pet nail grinder uses a superior motor with super-quiet technology that produces a very low vibration. Help sand pets claws faster and easier.
- Rechargeable & Portable: The cordless dog grinder is rechargeable and has an indicator light on the bottom that turns on when charging. Each grinder has a built-in battery that lasts 2 hours after a 3-hour charge. The lightweight and ergonomic body design also makes it easier to handle in your right or left hand.
- Considerate Customer Care: Our products experts teams are available 7 days a week. Response in less than 24 hours. Contact us at any time. We will help you at our best. Casfuy hopes pets and their people live happily togeth
Casfuy nail grinder is an amazing product that I’ve been using for several years. It’s rechargeable and painless, unlike other products out there in the market.
There are other reasons to consider this product:
- There’s a slight vibration when you grind the nail, but it’s faster than usual in trimming the nail.
- This is beginner-friendly and the customer care of Casfuy also guides you with a proper procedure if you’re facing any trouble.
- Above all, it’s great to smoothen their nails and is perfect for dogs of all sizes and breeds.
How to Groom a German Shepherd: 10 Top Tips!
So, now you’re armed with the best grooming tools for your German Shepherd, here are my 10 top tips I thought I’d share:
- Start grooming your German Shepherd from a young age, ideally as soon as you bring him home, at around 8 weeks. This will allow your young puppy to get used to the daily brush and his other grooming tools.
- Teach your dog to be comfortable with being handled in general. Get to know the areas he likes to be touched and the ones he doesn’t by petting him in different areas. This will put him at ease when it comes to grooming time. Most German Shepherds are affectionate and will tolerate being petted; however, all dogs are different.
- Make the grooming session enjoyable for your German Shepherd. If he is the nervous type, reassure him, speak calmly, and offer treats as rewards. He will learn to associate grooming with pleasant things.
- If your dog isn’t keen on grooming, exercise him first with a long walk and a fun game of fetch. He will be too tired to care when he sees you coming towards him with the brush, making your job a lot easier! I find this works for me, and I tend to get a quick brush when my girl is tired.
- When your GSD is “blowing his coat,” you might want to de-shed him outside. I usually FURminate my girl in a nearby field during the heavy shedding periods. There’s no way all that fur is getting in my home!
- If your dog’s hair is heavily matted and tangled, take your time going through it in small sections using the adjustable de-matting tool. Don’t pull as this may hurt your German Shepherd and make him anxious.
- Never discipline your GSD during a grooming session, as this will make him dislike it even more and will be counter-productive. Instead, distract his poor behavior and reward good behavior using positive reinforcement, such as giving treats.
- Never shave your German Shepherd. His undercoat is designed to keep him cool in the summer and provides insulation against the heat. Shaving can also cause skin irritation and infection and expose your dog to harmful sunlight.
- Never let your dog play with your grooming kit to avoid any accidents. They are not toys! Keep them in a safe place and out of reach.
- Finally, use the grooming session as an opportunity to examine your dog’s skin, checking for any hot spots or infection. You can also check the health of his ears, nails, and teeth.
Choosing the best grooming tools for your German Shepherd may seem a quick and easy task, but there are so many different brands it can be challenging to know where to start!
I hope you have found this article helpful as not only do you now know the type of grooming kit your dog needs (whether you have the short-haired or long-haired variety of German Shepherd), but you can see the tools I use.
You won’t find many negative reviews of these products online. Some people may say they are too expensive. However, I disagree as you are paying for top-quality tools that do what they are supposed to and will last an age. However, when choosing stuff for your dog, it’s essential to do your own research.