As a devoted German Shepherd owner, I understand the unique challenges and joys of finding the perfect toys for our intelligent and energetic companions.
That’s why I’ve dedicated this article to exploring the best KONG Toys for your German Shepherd, which resonates deeply with those of us seeking durable, engaging, and safe options for our furry friends.
I’ve experienced firsthand the frustration of toys that don’t withstand the test of time or fail to captivate our smart, active dogs. I’m excited to share insights on the most suitable KONG toys that cater specifically to the needs of German Shepherds.
These toys are not just about fun; they’re about meeting the mental and physical stimulation requirements of this unique breed, and they are the toys my German Shepherd, Willow, uses daily.
Best KONG Toys for German Shepherds
Have you ever bought your German Shepherd a new toy to find that it didn’t even make it through the day?
Soft dog toys are great when your dog is just a young pup, but once he starts to rip through these with his razor-sharp teeth, you need something just a bit more indestructible, such as KONG toys.
KONG dog toys are made from durable natural rubber and are virtually indestructible, making them ideal for German Shepherds.
There’s a wide variety to choose from – chew, interactive, tug, and retrieve toys and balls.
Here are my top five. If your GSD is a power chewer, go for the KONG Extreme range!
|KONG Stuff-A-Ball - Dog Toy for Aggressive Chewers Treats Dispense Dog Toy - Stuffable Dog Toy - Stuff Treats for Mental Enrichment - Dental Dog Toy for Healthy Teeth & Gums - Medium Dogs
|KONG Jump'N Jack - Durable Dog Chew Toy - Dental Dog Toy for Chewing & Teeth Cleaning - Rubber Dog Toys for Aggressive Chewers - Stuffable Dog Toy for Peanut Buter or Frozen Treats - Large Dogs
|KONG Flyer - Tough Dog Toy for Aggressive Chewers - Durable Rubber Flying Disc Dog Toy - Outdoor Dog Toy for Fetch - Dog Chase Toy with Dynamic Rebound Features - Large Dogs
|KONG - Extreme Dog Toy - Toughest Natural Rubber, Black - Fun to Chew, Chase and Fetch - for Large Dogs
|Kong Air Squeaker Tennis Balls Size:Medium(6_Balls)
Note: Clicking the above link(s) will take you to Amazon or an online store where we have an affiliate relationship. If you make a purchase, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
1. KONG Stuff-A-Ball
Multi-functional Treat Dispenser & Ball
This tough little toy has numerous functions. It’s a long-lasting treat-dispensing toy you fill with your German Shepherd’s favorite nibbles.
It’s also a rubber ball with a wild bounce due to its shape. It keeps your dog guessing which way it will go when it hits the ground.
Finally, it promotes healthy chewing as the ball’s ridges are designed to keep your German Shepherd’s teeth and gums clean and healthy.
You can choose from small, medium, or large sizes. It is made in the USA from natural, long-lasting rubber.
The KONG Stuff-a-Ball (as with all KONG toys) helps solve destructive chewing, separation anxiety, and excessive barking and digging.
It also relieves the discomfort of teething, solves boredom, helps manage weight, especially if your GSD is food motivated, and is an ideal toy during crate training. It can also slow down dogs that eat too fast, therefore preventing bloat.
Check out the below photo of my German Shepherd pup at eight weeks old. The red rubber toy in her crate is the KONG Stuff-A-Ball.
This toy is still one of her favorites, and it’s been tough enough to withstand her teeth and chewing for over eight years! She still plays with it to this very day. Now, that’s what I call indestructible!
2. KONG Jump’ N Jack Dog Toy
Chew, Chase, and Play
This toy not only has a crazy fun bounce for fetch-and-chase play but it’s also designed to withstand a vigorous chewing session!
Like the Stuff-A-Ball above, you can also use it to fill with treats, peanut butter, or the variety of KONG Easy Treat Pastes.
The ridges are made from natural, durable rubber and are great for keeping teeth clean by reducing plaque and helping to soothe gums during teething.
There are three sizes to choose from.
3. KONG Flyer
Great for Fetch
This KONG is a frisbee made for fetching. It is constructed from the same durable rubber, but it’s a little softer and more flexible, allowing for safer catching to protect your GSD’s teeth and gums.
Nonetheless, it’s still one of the toughest frisbees out there.
It is the perfect flying disc as it’s pretty accurate in the air and provides lots of fun for your pup. It is available in two different sizes, allowing you to find the best match for your doggo.
The KONG Flyer is undoubtedly not a chew toy, but I use it in a game of Tug O’ War with my German Shepherd as it is strong enough for this purpose.
4. KONG Extreme Classic
For the Toughest of Chewers
If your German Shepherd is determined to chew his way through the KONG Classic range, don’t worry, as there is the KONG Extreme range of toys that are designed for the toughest of chewers.
These are the black-colored ones, and there are five sizes to choose from.
They are made from the same natural rubber, only this time, even more durable. There is no such thing as an utterly indestructible dog toy, as that’s just a myth. However, this range comes as close as it gets!
The KONG Extreme Dog Toy is the most popular in this collection. It’s shaped like a snowman and is great for chewing and playing chase and fetch due to its random bounce. It will mentally stimulate your GSD by satisfying his instinctual desires.
This super tough toy is also great for stuffing with snacks and treats due to the hollow center, and like all KONG toys, it’s approved by veterinarians and trainers.
5. KONG SqueakAir Balls
Great for Active Play and Fetch
KONG not only has the best tough dog toys for German Shepherds, but they also have the AirDog Squeaker range that my GSD loves.
They are a fetch toy and combine a tennis ball and a squeaker toy to entice play, although my girl doesn’t need any persuading when it comes to playtime!
Her favorite is the tennis ball, but she also loves the AirDog Squeaker Football, which is available in small, medium, and large. You can also get many other toys, such as a disc, dumbbell, donut, bone, and boomerang, to name but a few.
The KONG AirDog range is made from fuzzy tennis material that is softer on your German Shepherd’s teeth when catching the ball.
However, I keep these to one side just in case my GSD is tempted to have a good chew on them!
There are eight huge sizes to choose from, so you can pick the size your best friend prefers.
Why Do German Shepherds Like KONGS?
So, you’re here to find out the best KONG toys for German Shepherds, but have you ever wondered why your dog loves KONG toys?
If you’re like me and have tried many different brands but always go back to KONG, here’s why.
Dogs like KONGS because they enjoy chewing on tough rubber, which satisfies their innate desire to chew.
They relish exploring the wide variety of shapes and textures, which keeps them mentally and physically stimulated, and their multi-functional purpose also keeps them entertained for hours.
Let’s look in more detail at the benefits of KONG toys:
- KONG rubber toys are made to satisfy your dog’s natural desire to chew and teach him the correct chewing behavior. If your German Shepherd is a destructive chewer and is constantly gnawing at your furniture or slippers, these tough toys are a great way to redirect his bad habit.
- KONG toys are available in four types of rubber depending on the life stage and chewing capabilities of your GSD. The Puppy range is designed for pups up to 9 months old. The Classic range comes next and is great for average chewers, but don’t worry if your GSD turns out to be a power chewer and needs something more challenging, as he can go for the Extreme range. Finally, the Senior range has a softer rubber that protects aging teeth and gums. I found the Puppy range helpful when my GSD was teething before moving on to the red Classic range.
- There is a wide variety of KONG toys to keep your German Shepherd entertained and stimulated forever. Experts in canine care suggest you should rotate toys often to avoid habituation, which can lead them back to chewing stuff they’re not supposed to.
- The KONG selection consists of chew toys and various play types that provide mental and physical stimulation. You can choose various retriever-type toys and balls, tug toys, and even toys for tough water play. As German Shepherds are clever cookies, they love to keep their brains occupied, and the selection of puzzle and interactive toys will undoubtedly keep them amused.
- These toys are super long-lasting. In my above example of the Stuff-A-Ball that is over six years old – and still going strong! They are also available in various sizes depending on your dog’s weight, but generally, adult German Shepherds either require the XL or XXL size. It’s recommended to size up to be extra safe.
- As KONG toys are multi-functional, you can save money in the long run. There is no need to buy separate chew, treat-dispensing, or teeth-cleaning toys, as one KONG toy will do the job.
- The tough rubber is easy to clean by soaking it in warm water using either a bottle brush or a toothbrush. I like to put gravy bone biscuits in my German Shepherd’s Stuff-A-Ball, but it can get quite dirty, especially if she plays with it in the yard. Cleaning is quick and easy, and the toys can go in the dishwasher.
- If your German Shepherd is prone to separation anxiety, KONG toys can help relieve his symptoms. They will keep your dog busy for hours, preventing boredom. They are also great for teething puppies, crate training, and maintaining a healthy weight.
- KONG toys can help prevent poor behavior. Digging, whining, barking, rolling in the dirt, urine marking, etc., are all unwanted behavior problems, but these toys keep him engaged and energized for longer.
Are KONG Toys Good for German Shepherds?
KONG toys are good for German Shepherds. They are durable and can withstand the strong jaws and powerful bites of this breed. They are also great for mental stimulation and can help prevent destructive behavior.
However, it is important to choose the right size and type of KONG toy for your German Shepherd to ensure it is safe and enjoyable for them to play with.
Is KONG OK for Puppies?
KONG toys are okay for puppies. They are pretty safe and made from non-toxic materials. Choose the KONG Puppy range, as the rubber is tailored for a growing puppy’s baby teeth and gums. The rubber is gentler than the Classic range yet durable enough to withstand enthusiastic puppy biting.
Are KONG Toys Worth the Money?
KONG toys are worth the money. Being multi-purpose, you will save money in the long run as there is no need to buy separate chew, treat-dispensing, or teeth-cleaning toys, as one KONG toy will do the job. They are also super durable; they last years and are easy to clean.
What Can I Put in a KONG Toy for a Puppy?
You can put loads of healthy treats in your KONG toy to keep your dog entertained and busy. Some ideas are peanut butter, KONG Stuffing, plain yogurt, gravy bones, kibble, berries, low-fat cheese, cooked meats, salmon, and apples. You can freeze chicken broth in a KONG to make an excellent teething toy.
How to Stuff a KONG
To stuff a KONG toy, use certain ingredients as a base and plug the small hole. Plain yogurt, peanut butter, wet dog food, or KONG Stuffing are ideal. You then add other foods, such as kibble, healthy dog treats, or wholesome foods, through the large hole, which you seal before use.
How Do You Clean a KONG?
To clean a KONG toy, rinse with warm water and dish soap. Soak to loosen dried sticky foods such as peanut butter. Use a toothbrush or bottle brush to clean inside the toy. KONG toys are also dishwasher safe. Use the top rack, and you can wash them with other dishes using regular detergent.