As a German Shepherd owner, rewarding your dog is essential, whether during training, for good behavior, or to show extra love. With the vast array of dog treats, choosing the right one can be daunting.
The best treats for German Shepherds should be dog-specific, nutritionally valuable, low in fat and calories, and free from artificial additives.
The purpose of the treat is important, too – training treats differ from dental treats, for instance.
Key types of dog treats include:
- Puppy Training Treats: Small and digestible for training sessions.
- Healthy Treats: Nutrient-rich for overall well-being.
- Dental Treats: Beneficial for oral health.
- Chew Treats: Long-lasting for extended enjoyment.
- Calming Treats: Helpful for relaxation and stress relief.
Having a variety of these treats ensures your German Shepherd is not only happy but also receiving optimal health benefits.
What Are The Best Treats For German Shepherds?
I want you to get the best treats for your German Shepherd, so when you see me recommending a product, you know it’s something I would buy for my own dog. I only want the best for your dog, where health and nutrition are concerned.
I only review stuff I currently use, plan to buy, or if someone highly recommended them, and I’ve thoroughly checked them out. If you are looking for cheap, low-grade dog treats, this isn’t the place for you!
Remember, too, veterinarians recommend that treats make up no more than 10% of a dog’s daily calories, but if chosen right, dog treats can supplement your German Shepherd’s health and well-being.
So, let’s get straight into the best treats for German Shepherds. These are all sold on Amazon, but you can get them from most good pet stores.
Training Treats for Puppies
Choosing the right training treat for your German Shepherd can make a difference in his learning. Healthy training treats for your GSD puppy should be small, soft, crunchy, or chewy.
This makes them perfect for reward-based training, and the texture is ideal for teething pups. Make sure they are delicious to get the best results from your puppy.
So, what are the best training treats for German Shepherd puppies? Here are my top picks:
WELLNESS Crunchy Puppy Bites
Wellness is a family-owned company that offers a range of excellent all-natural healthy treats. Wellness Crunchy Puppy Bites are top-quality training treats made with chicken and carrots and contain apples, blueberries, broccoli, peas, spinach, and salmon oil.
Note: Clicking the above link(s) will take you to Amazon or an online store where we have an affiliate relationship. If you make a purchase, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
They contain omega fatty acids, which maintain healthy skin and coat and are super tasty for your German Shepherd.
The bites are perfectly sized and, therefore, excellent for training sessions. Wellness is a leading brand in healthy pet food, and their treats are no different.
- Crunchy training treats just for puppies.
- All-natural ingredients, including fruits and vegetables high in antioxidants.
- Added vitamins, especially for puppies, including DHA, for a healthy brain.
- No meat by-products, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
- The option of a soft variety.
- Highly rated on Amazon with thousands of top reviews.
Zuke’s Mini Naturals
Zuke’s Puppy Naturals are healthy and wholesome mini bites ideal for training your German Shepherd pup and giving frequent rewards.
They are nice and tender and are only 3.5 calories per treat due to their small size, making them perfect for obedience training.
These high-end training treats continue to score top ratings on Amazon with thousands of positive reviews. There is a range of flavors, having protein as the first ingredient. Choose from lamb, pork, or salmon.
- Wholesome tender mini-bites.
- High-quality ingredients.
- No wheat, soy, corn, artificial colors, or additives.
- Trail-tested recipes to meet high standards.
- Many flavors, from lamb, pork, or salmon.
Best Healthy Dog Treats
I always try to choose the best healthy treats for my German Shepherd. Yes, they might be more expensive. However, I prefer to pay more, knowing that she is getting the best nutrition from her treats and not eating a load of junk.
There are so many cheap, poor-quality treats that contain unhealthy ingredients and unnecessary additives. Make sure to check the labeling before purchasing.
The best healthy dog treats should be made with all-natural ingredients containing high-quality protein.
Here are my picks of the best healthy treats for German Shepherds.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Trail Treats
The Blue Buffalo Wilderness Trail Treat Biscuits are the Rolls Royce of healthy, high-protein treats. They are made from the finest natural ingredients and are packed with real meat that your German Shepherd won’t be able to resist.
The crunchy texture satisfies your GSD’s natural urge to chew and helps to clean his teeth. There are many flavors to choose from, or you can opt for a variety pack of three different flavors that works out cheaper.
The Blue Buffalo biscuits get top reviews from thousands of happy customers on Amazon.
- Delicious high-protein biscuit enhanced with vitamins and minerals.
- Only the finest healthy natural ingredients are used.
- No by-products, corn, wheat, or soy.
- Oven-baked for a satisfying crunch.
- Grain-free formulas are available.
- Tasty flavors such as duck, turkey, wild salmon, and venison.
Nudges Jerky Cuts
Nudges Jerky Cuts are the ultimate natural dog treats. There are three varieties: chicken, duck, and steak, all sourced in the USA.
My German Shepherd loves jerky treats, and I enjoy feeding them to her as I know they are healthy and nutritional.
These high-protein treats are slowly dried in the oven, which retains their nutritional value and allows them to taste super tasty. They can be fed whole, or you can break them into smaller pieces.
- All-natural, high-protein jerky pieces.
- No artificial flavors, preservatives, or animal by-products.
- Contains glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy bones and joints.
- Slowly oven-dried for extra nutritional value.
- No corn, wheat, soy, or other fillers.
Best Dental Treats
We all need to look after our teeth, including our dogs! Occasionally, I like to give my GSD a dental treat that helps keep her teeth and gums healthy.
Most dental treats satisfy your German Shepherd’s urge for a good chew.
Don’t forget to observe your GSD while chewing a dental treat in case of choking and ensure he has access to fresh, clean water.
These are the best dental treats for German Shepherds:
Pedigree DENTASTIX Large Dental Dog Treats
Pedigree Dentastix has to be my German Shepherd’s favorite dental treat. Look at her in the above photo, waiting patiently and licking her lips!
Dentastix is one of the best dental treats for German Shepherds as they are specially designed to clean teeth as your dog chews due to their unique X shape.
Vets recommend Dentastix, and there are thousands of top reviews on Amazon.
You can give these dental treats daily. However, I give my girl one every two to three days as I like to vary her range of treats. They are not suitable for puppies under four months old.
- Cleans hard-to-reach teeth.
- Reduces tartar build-up by 80% and freshens breath.
- Low in fat and no added sugar.
- No artificial colors or flavors.
- Various flavors from original, beef, bacon, and minty fresh.
GREENIES Original Large Dog Natural Dental Treats
Greenies Natural Dental Treats are one of the best dental treats for German Shepherds, and if they were somewhat bigger, they’d look like a toothbrush the Hulk would use due to their crazy green color!
They have a chewy texture and are made with nutritional and easily digestible ingredients.
Greenies are formulated to meet the nutritional standards set by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.
However, this is not a mandatory requirement for treats and snacks supplementary to your German Shepherd’s diet. Nevertheless, it’s good to know they are a healthy treat.
These dental chews are vet-approved and score very high on Amazon, where you can find thousands of positive reviews from happy dog owners. They are not suitable for puppies under 6 months old.
- The unique texture cleans down to the gum line to fight plaque and tartar.
- Freshens bad dog breath.
- Made with natural ingredients plus vitamins and minerals.
- Grain-free option and weight management option.
- Greenies Aging Care for senior dogs – 50% softer texture.
- Flavors include original, blueberry, and fresh.
Chewing is a natural behavior for all dogs. They love to explore the world with their mouths, and it helps keep their teeth clean and jaws strong.
Most German Shepherd owners tend to give their pets a toy to chew rather than an edible treat, but I like to vary it and do both!
Here are my preferred chew treats for German Shepherds. They are both highly rated on Amazon, with tons of satisfied customers:
Best Bully Sticks
Downtown Pet Supply Bully Sticks are a long-lasting chew that makes an excellent alternative to chemically processed rawhide.
They are made from 100% high-quality, all-natural beef, which means they may give off a natural scent, but your GSD will go crazy for them.
If the smell gets too much for you, there is an odor-free range!
These bully sticks are completely safe as they won’t splinter and are fully digestible.
If your German Shepherd is a power chewer, he will really enjoy these as they will keep him entertained for a good while and satisfy his desire to chew.
- 100% all-natural beef from healthy grass-fed cattle.
- Long-lasting healthy chews.
- Promotes dental health through chewing.
- Odor-free variety.
- Thin, regular, and jumbo widths are available.
- Choose either the 6-inch or 12-inch length.
The Honest Kitchen Ocean Chews
The Honest Kitchen Ocean Chews are another healthy natural rawhide alternative offering a reasonable chew time.
They are made with just one ingredient – dehydrated codfish skins with a thin and crispy texture.
These healthy, chewy treats also help to clean teeth and gums and make a great snack anytime. If your German Shepherd is a gulper, you can easily cut the fish treats using scissors.
The Honest Kitchen offers a range of human-grade products that contain quality ingredients.
- 100% wild-caught codfish.
- Healthy chews with moderate chew time.
- Natural source of Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Supports healthy teeth and gums.
- Made in the USA.
Best Calming Treats
German Shepherds are a very affectionate breed and are prone to suffering from separation anxiety, and like other dogs, they may also suffer from other forms of stress.
Examples could be being exposed to loud noises such as thunder or fireworks, car journeys, or even trips to the vet.
In such situations, you may wish to try calming treats as an alternative to prescribed medication.
Calming treats is a natural way to help eliminate your GSD’s fear and anxiety. They contain natural ingredients such as herbs, vitamins, melatonin, tryptophan, or hemp oil.
These are the best calming treats for German Shepherds:
Zesty Paws Calming Bites
Zesty Paws Calming Bites are top-selling calming treats on Amazon, with thousands of top-rated reviews. They contain all-natural and organic ingredients to help your German Shepherd feel calm in stressful situations.
The premium ingredients include clinically proven L-Theanine, which helps promote relaxation without a drowsy effect.
Other proven ingredients are hemp, chamomile, valerian root, ginger root, L-Tryptophan, and passionflower.
- An advanced complex of proven high-quality ingredients.
- Soothes anxiety and reduces hyperactivity and aggression.
- Great-tasting soft chew treats in turkey or peanut butter flavors.
- A melatonin option in turkey flavor.
- No artificial flavorings or preservatives.
NaturVet Quiet Moments Calming Aid Dog Chews
Naturvet Quiet Moments Calming Chews help promote relaxation and reduce stress and anxiety.
These tasty chews are a high-quality supplement containing melatonin, L-Tryptophan, ginger, and thiamin. They are suitable for dogs over 12 weeks old.
Naturvet has been operating since 1994, and their superb range of products are made in the USA. They are another top company to receive thousands of positive reviews on Amazon.
They also have a 100% money-back guarantee if you are unsatisfied with their calming treats.
- Only high-quality ingredients are used to reduce tension and stress.
- Contain ginger to support sensitive stomachs when traveling.
- Melatonin helps promote relaxation.
- Tasty soft chews that promote normal nervous system function.
- Packaged in a re-sealable jar for continued freshness.
- 100% money-back guarantee.
I love to see my German Shepherd’s excitement when she watches me open the treat cupboard. She quickly prances back to the rug, where her bum hits the floor like a rocket as she waits longingly to receive her reward.
So there you have my pick of the best treats for German Shepherds. Before feeding, don’t forget to check with your vet if your GSD has any allergies, food sensitivities, diabetes, or other weight-related issues.