When Pennsylvania couple Clayton and Carrie Law left an envelope filled with $4,000 in cash on their kitchen counter, they never expected their dog Cecil would turn it into an expensive snack.
But that’s exactly what happened according to the Laws, leaving them scrambling to recover the shreds of money from the dog’s vomit and stool.
The Goldendoodle munched on the cash that was set aside to pay a contractor to install a new fence. Only 30 minutes after Clayton laid the envelope out, he discovered Cecil enjoying the priciest meal of his life.
“Suddenly Clayton yelled to me, ‘Cecil’s eating $4,000!'” Carrie told the local press. “I thought, ‘I cannot be hearing that.’ I almost had a heart attack.”
Despite being known not to have much interest in human food or scraps, Cecil was apparently “money motivated” that day.
After confirming with the vet that Cecil would be okay, the couple began the gross but necessary task of searching through the dog’s vomit and stool to recover the remains of the $50 and $100 bills he had shredded and consumed!
After thoroughly scrubbing the cash and taping the fragments together in the hope of matching serial numbers, they took the salvaged money to the bank.
Incredibly, they recovered most of the $4,000, though $450 remains unaccounted for.
The bank told the Laws that pets eating money actually happens more often than you’d think!
But Cecil’s expensive snack still left his owners in disbelief that their goofy dog would choose to make a meal out of their cash. At least now they’ll have a wild story to tell about the priciest meal their pet ever ate.
The Laws are keeping their sense of humor about the whole thing, saying the remaining scraps “will be our most expensive piece of art.” Still, they probably won’t leave any cash envelopes lying around anytime soon.
Meet the lovely Cecil here…
Although, thankfully, things didn’t end up too bad, always keep an eye on your dog to avoid poisoning from household or non-food items.