Are you looking to sponsor, foster, or adopt a German Shepherd at a rescue in Georgia?
Breed-specific German Shepherd rescues in Georgia can be counted on one hand. However, there are several all-breed dog rescues that include GSDs in their rescue missions. We identified the best ones for you.
These are the 5 top German Shepherd Rescues in Georgia:
- German Shepherd Dog Rescue of Georgia
- Canine Pet Rescue
- Coastal Pet Rescue
- Angel’s Among Us Pet Rescue
- Furkids Rescue.Shelter.Sanctuary
To help you decide which Rescue is a good starting point, this article discusses the uniqueness of each. You’ll find details about their dog rescuing and rehoming processes and how you can be part of their noble cause for the good of pets. Let’s savor the details!
German Shepherd Rescues in Georgia
Georgia has quite a number of rescues with a long history of saving dogs. Prospective dog owners can find German Shepherds for adoption in rescues dedicated to the breed or in all-breed rescues. We have examples of both options in the rest of the article.
1. German Shepherd Dog Rescue of Georgia
The German Shepherd Dog Rescue of Georgia is one of the oldest dog rescues in Georgia. The non-profit organization began its rescue mission in 2004 with the goal of finding loving homes for abandoned GSDs.
How the Rescue Works
As an all-volunteer and purely local rescue, the German Shepherd Dog Rescue of Georgia places rescued dogs in the care of foster homes until they can find their forever family.
The Rescue’s dog-saving and adoption missions focus on the local areas of North Georgia and Metro Atlanta.
While at the Rescue and before adoption, the organization ensures that every German Shepherd that passes through their hands is up to date with vet care, including neutering/spaying, vaccination, and microchipping.
How You Can Help
You can support the mission of the German Shepherd Dog Rescue in Georgia by:
- Donating through one of the many options.
- Becoming a foster parent/family.
- Volunteering your time to rescue and adoption processes.
- Offering transportation services.
- Sponsoring a specific GSD.
- Adopting a German Shepherd.
Should you decide to adopt, you’ll start by viewing the available dogs and choosing one that appears to be a good match for you.
You’ll then fill out the application form and wait for volunteers at the Rescue to review your application. The rest of the adoption process steps will only be realized after the application is approved. These steps include a home visit, a meet-and-greet, and, eventually, bringing home your new pet.
You can learn more about the mission of the Rescue and how you can lend a hand by visiting their website: www.gashepherd.org. Alternatively, send an email to [email protected].
2. Canine Pet Rescue
Canine Pet Rescue is a charitable organization in Lawrenceville, Georgia. The Rescue was founded to save German Shepherds from kill shelters but later opened its gates to other breeds.
History and Mission
In 2009, the philanthropist and German Shepherd enthusiast Carla Brown founded Canine Pet Rescue. Her initiative to rescue GSDs was born from her love for the breed, having owned German Shepherd dogs for years. The founder had also been a member of a local GSD club for many years.
For over 14 years, the Rescue has rescued and rehomed hundreds of German Shepherds and promoted responsible pet ownership in the community through education.
German Shepherds and other dogs at the Canine Pet Rescue are housed by fosters or sheltered at a run kennel within the founder’s horse farm until they can find their new home.
The Mission of Canine Pet Rescue is not just about saving and rehoming German Shepherds. Instead, the Rescue also ensures that every dog that comes to the Rescue has comprehensive vet care and proper training.
Training focuses on the dog’s temperament, making it easier for the pet to fit into its new family.
Participating in the Rescue’s Mission
As a charitable organization, Canine Pet Rescue relies on donations and volunteer services to provide quality care and service to the dogs.
You can also help through one of these ways:
- Donating funds and dog care items.
- Sponsoring and participating in fundraising events.
- Shopping through their page.
- Fostering and volunteering.
- Adopting a dog.
To adopt a German Shepherd from Canine Pet Rescue, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You must be a current or former owner of a GSD (preferred for adult dogs but not for puppies).
- You cannot be a cat owner.
- You must provide the contact info of a vet you’ve worked with at some point in the last 10 years and 2 personal references.
- You should complete an adoption application online. Volunteers at the Rescue will review your application and follow up on the adoption process with you.
- You must enroll in an obedience training class a week into the adoption.
The adoption fee for dogs ranges between $250 and $500.
If you wish to know more about Canine Pet Rescue, you can:
- Visit their website: www.caninepetrescue.com
- Send a snail mail via PO Box 248, Lawrenceville, GA 30046
- Call 1-855-435-7473.
- Email [email protected]
- Join their mailing list to receive news about available German Shepherds and adoption success stories.
Their Twitter and Facebook accounts are also active if you want to follow the Rescue’s activities.
3. Coastal Pet Rescue
Coastal Pet Rescue has a rich history of saving abused and abandoned pets in Savannah, Georgia, since 2002. Over the years, the founder, Lisa Scarbrough, who also doubles as the president of the Rescue’s board, has received plenty of recognition for the commendable work realized by the Rescue.
In 2005, other self-driven volunteers joined the rescue mission. Today, the Rescue saves over 600 pets every year.
The Rescue’s Uniqueness
The Rescue stands out among many 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations in Georgia for its 3-tier commitment to ensure pet welfare:
- Rescue and save the highest number of pets possible each year.
- Reduce the pet population by neutering and spaying.
- Sensitize the public about responsible pet ownership.
Coastal Pet Rescue entrusts saved pets to volunteer fosters until they can find a new home for them.
However, the Rescue has a brick-and-mortar central location known as Camp Pawsawhile Retreat, which serves as the headquarters for the Rescues activities. There’s also a small-scale shelter at the Retreat that accommodates animals temporarily.
Changing a GSD’s Life with Coastal Pet Rescue
Coastal Dog Rescue enjoys the generosity of many volunteers. Offering your time and free services is one of the many ways to change a German Shepherd’s life at the Rescue.
Other ways you can take part in dog rescue and rehoming include:
- Volunteering long-term at Camp Pawsawhile Retreat or short-term at events.
- Providing a foster home for pets.
- Donating funds.
- Adopting a pet.
To adopt a German Shepherd from Coastal Pet Rescue, begin by searching through their adoptable dogs’ page to find any available GSD. Alternatively, you can join their adoption day events.
Once you have identified a possible adoptee, you can make an appointment to visit the Rescue at 7430 Thomas Ave, Savannah, GA 31406.
Other steps in the adoption process will follow after the visit, including:
- Filling out an application form.
- Providing vet and personal references.
- Producing a landlord’s permission to keep a dog.
- Attending a meet-and-greet.
Dog adoption fee varies from $100 for seniors, $200 for adult dogs, and $250 for puppies.
You can find more details about German Shepherds at the Coastal Pet Rescue by:
- Visiting their website: www.coastalpetrescue.org.
- Subscribing to their weekly newsletter.
- Emailing them through their contact form (preferred over phone calls).
- Calling 912-228-3538.
You could also follow the Rescue’s activities on their regularly updated Facebook account.
4. Angels Among Us Pet Rescue
Angels Among Us Pet Rescue is a nonprofit-making organization in Alpharetta, Georgia. The Rescue’s pet-saving mission was launched in 2009 by a group of volunteers. The well-wishers were moved by the number of stray, abused, and abandoned dogs and cats.
Since then, Angels Among Us Pet Rescue has given hope to thousands of pets by providing immediate care and finding them a new home.
The Philosophy and Mission of the Rescue
The Angels Among Us mission actualizes the philosophy of rescuing dogs and cats one by one until none is left.
Apart from rescuing and adopting animals to their new forever-loving homes, the Rescue also works to educate the community on different topics, including:
- The plight of animals living in shelters.
- Responsible pet ownership.
- Becoming an advocate for homeless animals.
Collaborating with Angels Among Us Rescue
You can help Angels Among Us Rescue meet its target to save all animals by becoming a foster parent or volunteer. Alternatively, you can make a donation or adopt an animal.
To adopt a German Shepherd from the Rescue, identify your preferred furry friend by scrolling through the available dogs. I counted some GSDs on the list when I visited the page.
The actual process of adopting a German Shepherd will require you to:
- Complete an application form.
- Respond to any email from the Rescue soliciting more info.
- Allow a member of the adoption team to assess your application and contact your vet and personal references.
- Arrange a meet-and-greet with the current dog’s foster once your application is approved.
- Allow a home visit.
- Sign the adoption contract and bring home your GSD.
You must be over 21 years to adopt from Angels Among Us Rescue. The adoption fee is $150 for senior dogs 8 years and above and $300 for dogs below 8 years.
If Angels Among Us looks like your preferred German Shepherd Rescue in Georgia, you can seek more info by:
- Visiting their website: www.angelsrescue.org
- Emailing [email protected]
- Calling 877) 404-5874.
- Sending a snail mail to PO Box 821 Alpharetta, GA 30009.
5. Furkids Rescue.Shelters.Sanctuary
When a mother cat and her 3 kittens were at risk of being euthanized 21 years ago, a woman’s resolve to save the family of cats gave foundation to Furkids Rescue.
Today, the charitable organization gives a second chance at life to about 5000 animals every year. That’s counting cats and dogs.
Furkids is not your ordinary animal rescue. Instead, the organization has a comprehensive approach to saving animals and stands out in many unique aspects.
The Goal and Uniqueness of Furkids Rescue
Many animals are euthanized every year due to overpopulation and lack of space in shelters. Furkids Rescue has resolved the space issue by creating a dog shelter where rescued dogs can play outdoors in a fenced area and have their own living space.
The goal of creating ample space at the Rescue is to support an environment where people and animals can interact and develop a close connection.
Unlike other animal rescues in Georgia, Furkids allows children to become volunteers at the Rescue. Volunteers can also apply to help at the Rescue as a group.
Volunteering at Furkids is perceived as a mutual experience of love, care, and healing between animals and humans.
How You Can Help
Apart from volunteering, you can participate in Furkids Rescue mission in one of these ways:
- Becoming a foster parent or family.
- Sponsoring Rescue events and vet care services.
- Donating funds.
- Adopting an animal.
Adopting a German Shepherd at Furkids Rescue follows the same procedure for all dogs. You begin by visiting their Dog Adoption page and making a search to identify your prospective adoptee.
If you settle for a dog, you’ll complete an online adoption survey, then await the response of the rescue. A volunteer will schedule an appointment to complete the adoption process.
You can get firsthand info about adopting or sponsoring a German Shepherd at Furkids Rescue by vising their web page, www.furkids.org, sending an email to dogadop[email protected], or calling their dog shelter at 678-624-1003.
German Shepherd Dog Clubs in Georgia
One of the Rescues discussed in this post was founded by an active member of a German Shepherd club.
Being a member of a GSD club comes with many positive outcomes. You will stay updated on GSD club events and learn about reliable GSD breeders or rescues from other club members, among other similar benefits.
Below are 3 German Shepherd Dog Clubs in Georgia where you can start connecting with other supporters of the breed in the state.
|German Shepherd Dog Club of Atlanta||www.gsdcatlanta.org|
|German Shepherd Dog Club of North Georgia||www.gsdcnga.com|
|German Shepherd Dog Club of Columbus GA||web.facebook.com/GSDCofcolumbusga/about_details|
Helpful German Shepherd Articles
If you’re on the fence about rescuing a German Shepherd, or if you need more information, these guides may be just what you need:
- German Shepherd Pros and Cons: What To Consider Before Buying
- Costs of Owning a German Shepherd: With 21 Examples!
- Male vs. Female German Shepherd: Which Should You Get?
- How to Train a German Shepherd: 7 Quick and Easy Ways.
Summing It Up!
When searching for a German Shepherd rescue in Georgia, lovers of the breed can contact Rescues reserved for GSDs or all-breed Rescues.
Whichever of these you decide to go for, you’ll have the chance to make a difference in the life of a GSD by donating, becoming a volunteer or foster, or adopting a dog.
Your participation means one helpless or homeless dog less.