It’s super important to ensure you feed your German Shepherd high-quality food as this is crucial for his overall health and longevity, but there are so many types of dog food on the market it can be confusing to know exactly where to start. So, what’s the best Cold-Pressed dog food for German Shepherds, and what exactly is this new type of food?
The best cold-pressed dog food for German Shepherds is Guru Pet Food as every ingredient is carefully selected to improve health, coat, skin, and teeth. It’s a natural complete dog food that’s nutritionally dense so you use up to a third less than most extruded kibble. It’s also suitable for all dogs, from weaning puppies to seniors.
When choosing food for your dog, before you rush to the store, take a moment to think about your purchase and how it will affect your dog’s health. My German Shepherd has been fed on Guru Cold-Pressed dog food since being an 8-week old pup and she still thrives on it to this day.
You can read more here about the launch of the dog food fit for humans.
Before reading my in-depth review of this food, I need to point out that it’s currently only available in the UK and Europe where it continues its popularity. Hopefully, it won’t be long before this special food becomes available worldwide!
World of Dogz is nonaffiliated with Guru Pet Food and does not earn from purchases. However, I’m more than happy to post my review here as this is the best Cold-Pressed dog food for German Shepherds and it’s what I feed my dog.
What is Cold-Pressed Dog Food?
Guru Pet Food created a new kind of “Cold-Pressed” dog food. Cold-Pressing is a unique cooking method of producing complete dog food at low temperatures. This ensures that the ingredients retain all their nutritional value and vitamins which are essential for growth, digestion, and overall good health.
Check out this humorous 90-second animated video showing the difference between Cold-Pressed dog food and regular kibble:
The food is gently cooked at 44 degrees Celcius (111 degrees Fahrenheit), unlike regular extruded kibble which is cooked at up to 200 degrees Celcius (392 Fahrenheit). This cooking process results in all the goodness being retained in bite-sized pieces that guarantees a naturally nutritious and balanced diet.
When extruded kibble is cooked at high temperatures, this can destroy vital vitamins your German Shepherd needs and also affects the structure of proteins in the food. Around 95% of dry dog food is made by this process as it’s inexpensive and easy to mass-produce.
Here’s an interesting 2-minute video that shows another important difference between Cold-Pressed dog food and dry extruded regular kibble, in particular, how each type digests in your dog’s stomach.
The Cold-Pressed food quickly breaks down for easy digestion providing a satisfying and nutritious meal, however, the regular kibble sits there and still retains its regular shape for hours, and hours, and hours, and hours…
The Guru Cold-Pressed Story
The creators of this Cold-Pressed dog food developed the recipe for their popular “Surf & Turf” (beef, sea fish, and vegetables) product whilst cooking meals at home for their two beloved boxer dogs.
Dog lovers, Andrew and Lisa Clarke had traditionally been “home-feeders” and cooked their own meat, fish, and vegetables for their dogs every day. When this became too time-consuming around their working day, they wanted to make a product that was as good as homemade, which would not only benefit them but millions of other dog owners too.
Lisa Clarke making homemade dog food with one of her Boxer dogs, “Duke.”
They have also now produced other varieties of Cold-Pressed, including the famous “Tasty Tucker” (chicken, sea fish, and vegetables) and a grain-free option, “Full on Feast” (Duck, Sea Fish, and Vegetables). Here is the Guru shop if you wish to take a closer look.
So, What’s Bad About It?
I’ve been trying to come up with some negatives about this food over the years, however, I honestly can’t think of any.
I used to wonder if my German Shepherd was bored of eating the same food every day. For example, if we were to eat the same meal every day, I’m sure we would be tired of eating it after just a few days. Well, I know I would! However, I learned that this is a complete myth as dogs do not experience food the same way that humans do.
As dogs only have a fraction of the taste buds that we have, they don’t crave new flavors like you and me. Instead, they use their powerful noses which are up to a million times stronger than humans, to differentiate between various flavors.
In any case, Guru offers a range of flavors should you wish to mix things up for your German Shepherd and I sometimes like to add a topping such as chicken, ham, tuna, or Greek yogurt.
However, there is no need to do this as you can always increase the palatability of the dry food by adding a little warm water which will also release the extra aroma. This is known as the “Guru Porridge” or the “Guru Gravy” and my German Shepherd loves it served this way, especially in the mornings.
Now I understand why she loves this so much! The extra aroma that she can smell with her super powerful nose makes her Guru even more enticing and interesting.
Here’s a helpful 1-minute video showing you how to make “Guru Porridge.”
Here, you can see at a glance a ton of benefits of feeding your German Shepherd Guru Cold-Pressed dog food:
- Natural complete dog food.
- Every ingredient carefully selected.
- Suitable for any breed of dog, large or small.
- Suitable from weaning puppies to senior adult dogs.
- Good for pregnant or lactating dogs.
- A nutritionally dense food – use up to a third less than most extruded kibble.
- Handy to feed alongside a raw diet or a mixed diet.
- Improved general health, coat, skin, and teeth.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Grain-free option, “Full on Feast.”
- “Novel” proteins available such as duck and venison – ideal if your dog has a food allergy to common proteins such as beef and chicken.
- Ideal for fussy eaters or dogs prone to sensitive stomachs.
- No loose stools or flatulence and reduced stool odor.
- Helps prevent bloat in large breed dogs at risk.
- Contains parsley that helps with bad breath!
- Improves dog behavior.
- No chemical additives or artificial colors.
- No preservatives.
- No GM products.
- No gluten.
- No animal testing.
Here are all the other benefits of Guru Cold-Pressed dog food I put together for you:
- Competitively priced.
- Numerous flavors, including beef, chicken, and duck.
- Sample packs available.
- Easy to swallow and digest.
- Can be moistened with warm water to make a “gravy” – good for dogs who have difficulty chewing, fast eaters, or those with sensitive teeth.
- Numerous pack sizes for both small and large breeds.
- Multipacks are available for added savings.
- A range of healthy treats available, from 100% Fishskins to 70% Venison Sausage to an All-Day Breakfast.
- Handy chicken bones to feed either as treats or whilst on the move, available in 2 sizes, a small “Field Trip” bone, or a large “Road Trip” bone. These also promote good dental hygiene.
- Easy repeat ordering so you never run out!
- Comes in easy seal packaging.
- Helpful feeding guide and calculators (puppies & adults), both on the website and packaging.
- Transitioning advice.
- Practical measuring cup available to help with portion control.
- Up to 7 months of shelf life.
- A family business that is easily contactable for advice or queries.
- Free delivery throughout the UK if spend over £55.
I just had to show you this photo of my German Shepherd “Willow” licking her lips and clearly showing her appreciation of her Guru Pet Food!
Healthy Dog Treats
Guru Pet Food also produce their “Nothing to Hide” treats range so you don’t need to worry about feeding your German Shepherd poor-quality treats – you know the ones that I mean, that are full of additives, chemical preservatives, and artificial colors!
This includes their superb Venison Sausages (70% British venison with chopped apple) and “Reel” Fishskins (100% white fishskins) which are both not only great for your German Shepherd’s overall health but for healthy teeth and gums too!
The latest addition to the treats range is their “All Day Breakfast!” There is no doubt your pooch will find that these sausage, bacon, and egg treats, made with 50% British pork and 20% bacon are to die for!
Willow Online Publishing is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. We also participate in other affiliate programs that compensate us for referring traffic.
Owning a German Shepherd is an incredibly rewarding experience. But, it does come with its downside. It seems like no matter what time of year it is, or how much you brush your German Shepherd, he...
All dog owners love to give their German Shepherds a special treat now and again. But, as there are so many "human foods," it can be difficult to know exactly what they can and can't eat. So, can...