Are you searching for a German Shepherd rescue in Missouri to adopt or foster a dog?
Well, you have a choice from 3 rescues specifically dedicated to saving German Shepherds:
- Serendipity German Shepherd Dog Rescue
- Journey Home German Shepherd Dog Rescue
- Missouri German Shepherd Rescue
With 3 breed-specific German Shepherd rescues in Missouri, you only need to decide where to start your search. We made that easy for you by creating a detailed description of each rescue. Your task is just to read on!
German Shepherd Rescues in Missouri
Our list of German Shepherd rescues in Missouri has breed-specific charitable organizations located in St. Louis, Jefferson, and Kansas.
1. Serendipity German Shepherd Dog Rescue
Any prospective dog owner looking for an adoptive German Shepherd will certainly find their stroke of luck at the Serendipity Rescue.
This non-profit rescue organization was founded in 2004 and is based in St. Louis, Missouri. Serendipity always has a good number of healthy adoptable German Shepherds.
The Rescue is purely run by volunteers, including the adoption officers, fosters, and the board of directors.
Their mission is to secure a loving home for every GSD saved. The dogs are mostly from shelters and puppy mills. A few are surrendered by owners who can no longer guarantee their welfare.
As a German Shepherd lover, you can be part of the rescue work at Serendipity in different ways:
- Donating funds, dog food, or other care items.
- Providing a foster home.
- Becoming a volunteer.
- Adopting a GSD.
If you are interested in adopting a German Shepherd from Serendipity, here’s a summary of the adoption process:
- Complete an adoption application. You can specify your interest in a particular dog or allow the adoption officers to suggest a good match.
- Allow time for volunteers to review your application. Once done, they will contact you to confirm approval and make any clarifications for both sides.
- Leave time for the adoption officers to contact your vet and personal references as part of a background check.
- Allow a home visit to finalize the adoption process.
- Honor an invitation to a meet-and-greet once approved. This could also be the day you bring home your German Shepherd.
You will pay a $350 adoption fee for an adult German Shepherd. When available, you can adopt a puppy for $400.
You can find more info about the adoption process and answers to queries regarding the Rescue can be found on their website, https://serendipitygsd.org.
2. Journey Home German Shepherd Dog Rescue
When the founding volunteers started the Journey Home Rescue in 2015, they intended to save homeless German Shepherds and lead them on a journey to their new forever home. Since then, hundreds of GSDs have benefited from the Rescue’s work.
The non-profit 501(c)(3) organization is located in Jefferson City but rescues German Shepherds from all parts of the state and beyond.
Numerous volunteers work hard to save and rehome abandoned, abused, and neglected GSDs. They collaborate with many generous fosters who welcome these furry friends to their homes until they can find new families.
If you are a German Shepherd enthusiast, you can also be part of the noble work at Journey Home Rescue. Your assistance will help an already rescued GSD or facilitate the rescue of many more dogs.
Here’s how you can help:
- Donate funds towards food, vet, and other care expenses.
- Work as a volunteer at the Rescue or open the doors of your home for foster services.
- Adopt a GSD and give the pet a forever home.
To adopt a German Shepherd from Journey Home Rescue, you have to abide by these steps and requirements:
- Submit a completed adoption application.
- Wait for volunteers at the Rescue to review your application and contact you within 10 days. The review process includes contacting your vet and personal references.
- Allow a home visit.
- Attend a meet-and-greet. All family members, including current pets, should be present.
- Sign and submit an adoption contract.
- Pay the adoption fee and pick up your new furry friend.
You can enquire about the adoption fee for your chosen German Shepherd by emailing [email protected].
You can also find additional information on the Rescue’s website, https://journeyhomegsd.org.
Alternatively, you can post mail to 106043 Jefferson City, MO 65110 or follow updates on rescued GSD and the Rescue’s regular activities on their Facebook account.
3. Missouri German Shepherd Rescue
Not every German Shepherd rescue takes in dogs indiscriminately regardless of their history, medical, and physical state. But Missouri German Shepherd Rescue does.
Volunteers with love for the breed started the 501(c)(3) charitable Rescue in 2008 in the City of Kansas.
With the help of volunteers and fosters, the Rescue has restored hope to thousands of purebred German Shepherds and mixes, as well as dogs of other breeds.
Personnel at Missouri German Shepherd Rescue works by the maxim that every dog is worthy of being saved. That’s why they welcome even special cases, including:
- Dogs with behavior issues such as a bite history.
- Dogs with serious medical issues like heartworm disease, impaired vision, or an injured or withered limb.
- Unsocialized or poorly trained dogs.
The Rescue does not have a physical facility. Instead, it relies on the generosity of GSD lovers who open the doors of their homes to foster homeless dogs.
You can join Missouri German Shepherd Rescue as a foster to help care for rescued dogs and save many more. If offering free services at the Rescue works better for you, you can apply to be a volunteer.
You can also give a monetary donation or provide a forever home to a German Shepherd by adopting. The adoption process commences with completing an application form.
Once your request is approved, the Rescue personnel will organize a meet-and-greet. To complete the adoption process, you’ll sign a legally-binding contract and pay the adoption fee. The fee ranges between $150 and $350.
More info about Missouri German Shepherd Rescue can be found on their website, https://mogsrescue.rescuegroups.org. If you have queries about adopting a GSD, you can also post mail to 34676 Kansas City, MO 64116 or email [email protected].
German Shepherd Dog Clubs in Missouri
Alongside the breed-specific German Shepherd rescues in Missouri, there are a couple of active German Shepherd dog clubs in the state. These clubs serve as a platform where GSD lovers can continue learning about the breed and participate in club fun days.
If you are looking to be part of a German Shepherd dog club in Missouri, consider these two:
|German Shepherd Dog Club of St Louis, Inc.||http://www.gsdcstl.org|
|German Shepherd Dog Club of Greater Kansas City||http://gsdcgkc.com|
Helpful German Shepherd Articles
If you are thinking about rescuing a German Shepherd but are unsure if it is the right breed for you, the below articles provide valuable information and insights about the breed. They can help you make an informed decision and improve a dog’s life.
- Are German Shepherds Good With Kids?
- The Step-by-Step Guide to Adopting a German Shepherd
- German Shepherd Pros and Cons: What To Consider Before Buying
- Costs of Owning a German Shepherd: With 21 Examples!
Anyone looking for a German Shepherd rescue in Missouri has a reliable guide in this post. From the number of GSDs in these rescues, you are sure to find a good match for your future furry friend.
Not intending to adopt?
Not to worry. The Rescues will appreciate your volunteer or foster services or a donation in favor of a needy German Shepherd. Good luck with your search!
Hey! Are you looking for a German Shepherd rescue countrywide? Check out this article, 45 Best German Shepherd Rescues In The US.